What is an Interscholastic Polo Program?
The Interscholastic/Intercollegiate, also know as the I/I Program, was developed by the United States Polo Association to help grow the sport and recruit new youth players. Local clubs are encouraged to get young players together during the fall semester for organized competition and regional and national tournaments. These programs help develop strong players’ sportsmanship and horsemanship, plus they have a ton of fun doing it!
Who can play Interscholastic Polo?
Anyone! We have two teams in the San Diego program ranging from age 12 to 16 and we just had our first scrimmage against OC Polo. Most kids have a strong riding background and some polo experience. San Diego Surf Polo Club also offers lessons to help develop skill, strategy and knowledge of the rules, so while you’re competing, you’re also training and developing as a player.
Meet Coach Julie
Julie Empey is a die-hard polo fanatic. She’s one of San Diego’s best instructors and focuses her energy on our youth programs, including the Interscholastic/Intercollegiate program, Work to Ride Program and youth lessons. She also plays an integral part of southern California polo, connecting multiple polo clubs in the Pacific Coast Circuit to join together for tournaments and league play. Julie is an USPA Certified Umpire and USPA Certified Polo Instructor, making her one of four in all of California!
- We have 7 kids signed up in our Interscholastic Program ranging in age from 12 to 16.
- October 8 kicked off our Interscholastic Polo Program with a scrimmage against OC Polo.
- San Diego Surf Polo Club provides a string of polo ponies for the San Diego Interscholastic teams to ride. However, when they play against other teams, they are required to ride at least one horse they’ve never ridden, often belonging to the other team. This can be quite challenging for our students, but a great way to improve and develop horsemanship and riding skills.
- According to the United States Polo Association, 150 women and 97 men compete in collegiate polo.
- Students are able to receive a VARSITY letter in polo!
- The Interscholastic/Intercollegiate Program is affordable and anyone can play!